Monday, October 3, 2011

Packer Sundays






My favorite day of the week right now is Sunday! I love to watch the Packers play football. WOWZERS what a game it was this Sunday! Go Pack Go. We destroyed the Broncos, some REALLY good plays this week! Have to absolutely love that Rodgers smiles on the field even if things aren’t going his way!

This weekend was our weekend to go to our good friend’s house to watch the game. We usually switch off weekends to watch the game and host the party. Our kids are real close in age, they enjoy playing together before the games! This weekend it was all about the music for the kids, they decided to make a band with all the musical instruments in the house! Then it was time for the parade to start, Mamma’s were asked to sit and watch as the parade went on. It was great, if they keep this up they will be band pros by the time they get there first recorder in school! It is usually a fun time. Not to mention that there is usually wine involved for the adults. Plus the kids like to have any excuse to have or go to a party! They don’t know it yet but they are also learning about football at the same time. On a good day usually they come and sit down with us at some point to watch too!

 As soon as it hits 10 minutes to game time the yelling begins like a warning whistle at the ship yards! We all sit down to watch the game, with great food and good company. Our husbands would rather sit outside or in another room to watch the game because us Mamma's are sooo loud! Yelling at the TV is in the blood, and my grandma’s spirit seems to be lingering around to make sure that we don’t miss a thing to yell about! Tim says its backwords the women are supposed to just sit and watch the game and the men are supposed to be up and jumping around and whooping and hollering! Needless to say Tim and his friend think that we are strange and obnoxious, he says we can’t lose the surround sound because otherwise we won’t be able to hear the game! The yelling consists of: get him, go go, touchdown, that a boy, WAY TO GO, and GO PACK GO!! That’s just the tip of the ice burg. Our friend Eve likes to open up the front door after every touchdown or interception and scream at the top of her lungs AND THAT’S HOW THE PACKERS ROLL! Eve and I like to jump up and down and scream at the top of our lungs over pretty much any good play, or even a real bad play or bad call, depends on what going on at the moment.

 From the moment of conception I was a Packer fan, it is in the gene pool in our family. If you weren’t watching the game and cheering for the Packers you were out in the barn! Grandma made sure that it was all about the game and learning all about football, and of course church! Everything had to be done before kickoff that included homework, and chores. In our house growing up we were not allowed to do anything when the Packers were playing, if you even attempted to open your mouth to speak while the game was on you got the evil eye! Had to make sure if you had anything important to say it was during the commercial! As we got older you didn’t dare even think of cheering for another team. Grandma would tell her Ice Bowl story and the love of the home town team and how because it was a small home town team they had good morals in the game and didn’t play dirty. Then she would go on to say that you can’t be a fair weather Packer fan and expect to go a game when we were old enough! I was lucky enough to see a game, totally an awesome experience! One I will never forget! Today I am appreciating all that my Grandma and my Mom taught me about football, I hope I can pass that same appreciation on to my children. Love those family traditions, the memories stick out in my mind as I am raising my own little family!

 I hope you all enjoyed your Sunday as much as I did mine! GO PACK GO!

1 comment:

  1. Gosh I wish I could spend an afternoon watching the Packers play with you guys.

    I would love it!!

    This is a GREAT story! I'm looking forward to reading many more.

    ReplyDelete